Local 557 - 75 years
of Quality Electrical Installation
On November 29, 1929 the Charter to Local Union 557 was granted and signed by:
Fred A. Ross, W. J. Atherton, Winn Wilder, Richard Reinhardt, Alvin Darling, James Nolan, George D. Beck, Charles M. Berger, Conrad LaLonde, John R. Reams, Lester LaLonde, Charles Hendricks, Daniel Kearns, Murray Sills, Walter J. Behm, John Goodrich, and William C. Smelley.
The following facts were provided by the International Staff to the delegates at the October, 2006 International Convention in Cleveland, Ohio:
Saginaw, Michigan received their charter from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers on November 21, 1929. Prior to that three other cities were given the IBEW Local Union 557 designation, they were
Ryolite, Nevada in 1907
York, Pennsylvania in 1913
Minot, North Dakota in 1916.
Saginaw had three other IBEW Local Union designations prior to being assigned its current 557 designation. In 1895 Saginaw was Local Union 78, then in 1900 it was Local Union 145, and the last designation was Local Union 476 in 1913 before finally becoming Local Union 557 in 1929.
There also was an lineman local in Saginaw, Local Union 831 that was amalgamated with Local Union 17, of Detroit, in 1936.
The other IBEW Local Union in our area was in Local Union 1288 in Caro, established in 1941 which ceased to exist in 1944.
Support your local unions.